There is a great deal of power in uncommon connections.
- They solve problems that never existed before.
- Innovate successful solutions that support remaining relevant in the changing tides of business today. Be that as an individual company, department, position, or industry.
- Advance your career by standing out/being noticed, bringing greater value to the company, and fulfillment to you.
Think about some of the uncommon connections that we don't think twice about today.
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter
- Reese's peanut butter cups
- Bridging the generational gap and musical styles to create something new with the ability to connect with broader audiences.
- Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett (RIP)
- Double Bottom Line companies and organizations. (Having a for profit and a non profit arm within the same company.)
At face value, none of these belong together. However, someone had the vision and courage to give it a try.
So, what does that mean for your career and life?
I'll share a personal example. I grew up at the apex of creativity (mom was an artist) and business (Dad worked at IBM). I did not realize at the time that I lived in a home of consistent creativity, strategy, and innovation. In essence, I was learning to speak both creative and business languages.
I don't look at things the way most people do.
I see possibility where others see a brick wall.
I can communicate creative ideas to the business world
in a way that makes sense to them and vice versa.
Let's be clear; this does NOT make me better than a living soul. It makes me, ME, and by being me, I bring greater value to all I work with and greater fulfillment to me.
I never thought those characteristics/skills would be important, elevate my career, or set me apart. I would brush those things aside, believing everyone could do the same. The truth of the matter is, we each bring something different.
What are you brushing off that is an uncommon connection, that would offer your professional and personal life greater value, impact, and fulfillment?
How might owning the full impact of what you bring naturally to all you do, assist in getting you the recognition, respect, and reward from your company and industry that you desire.
Here's to letting Your Uncommon Out
and reaping all it has to offer you!